I am delighted to be one of the players that continue to steer the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board towards ensuring the provision of high quality healthcare that is safe and ethical.
We plan to use the Board's Strategic Plan and Service Charter as a road map to respond to our mandate as stipulated in the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Act (Cap 253). The Board Secretariat signed performance contracts with set targets for the financial year 2008-2009 committing themselves to implementing the strategic plan. The Board updates its register on an annual basis and I urge all practitioners to ensure that their names are retained in the register. As at January 2009, all the practitioners are required to undertake CPD program from the accredited providers.
Those in Private Practice should renew their annual private practice licenses and display them in their place of practice. It is illegal for a practice to display a copy or give out his license for use by any other person for the purposes of carrying out medical or dental practice. This tendency has been discovered during joint inspections.
The Board has placed on its website (www.medicalboard.co.ke) the following information:
- Application for indexing of Medical and Dental students
- Application for internship qualifying exams
- Application for per-registration exam
- Application for peer review exam
- Application for temporary licence for foreign doctors
- Application for internship licence
- Application for Registering (Permanent) for Medical and Dental Practitioners
- Application for Retention in the Annual Register for Medical and Dental Practitioners
- Application for Private Practice Licence (New) for Medical and Dental Practitioners
- Application for renewal of Private Practice Licence for Medical and Dental Practitioners
- Application for Recognition of specialty and sub-specialty
- Application for Certificate of Status
- Application for Registration of new Medical and Dental Institutions
- Application for renewal of Medical Institutions
- Application for CPD accreditation (New)
- Application for renewal of CPD Accreditation
- Continuous Professional Development (CPD) Diary
- Application for lodging Preliminary Inquiry Committee (PIC) Complaint
I therefore urge the practitioners to be ICT compliant and make use the Board's website for ease in communication.
The Board is committed to implement its Strategic Plan which is linked to Government Policy, priorities and objectives as set out from time to time in line with the National Development Plan and Vision 2030. I wish to thank all our clients for their support without which we could not have reached this far. Special appreciation goes to the Ministry of Medical Health whose support and guidance has helped the Board a great deal.