- Approval of training institutions for medical and dental practitioners;
- Renewal of annual licences of training institutions for medical and dental practitioners;
- Approval of curriculum and training facilities for undergraduate and postgraduate training in medicine and dentistry;
- Approval and accreditation of continuous professional development providers;
- Supervision of medical and dental education and regulation of training thereof; and
- Supervision of internship training.
- Indexing of medical and dental students upon admission to a University;
- Register eligible medical and dental practitioners;
- Maintain an up-to-date annual register of eligible medical and dental
- Register eligible private, community and faith based medical and dental institutions.
- Issue internship licences;
- Issue annual private practice licences for-
- Specialist Practice.
- General Practice;
- Issue annual licences to to private, community and faith based health care institutions;
- Issue locum licences.
- Conduct internship Qualifying and Pre-Registration Examination for foreign trained doctors and dentists;
- Conduct assessment for foreign trained specialists; and
- Monitor university examinations for medical and dental Students.
- Inspect and accredit institutions for medical and dental training;
- Inspect and approve internship training centres;
- Inspect and supervise public, private, community and faith based training institutions; and
- Inspect private and public premises of medical and Dental practice.
Maintain Annual Data base for:
- Approved training institutions for medical and dental practitioners;
- Approved register for private, community and faith based medical and dental institutions;
- Curriculum for undergraduate and postgraduate students in medicine and dentistry;
- Inspection reports;
- Approved internship training centres;
- Approved and Accredited Continuous Professional Development providers.
The Minister(s) responsible for health on
- Matters pertaining to health care and training;
- Medical and Dental training institutions;
- Institutions that provide Health care; and
- Research regarding human subjects.
Collaboration and Partnership-
The Board collaborates with the following bodies of similar mandate: -
- At the international level, with the International Association of Medical Regulatory Authority (IAMRA);
- At the African Region, with the Association of Medical Council of Africa (AMCOA);
- At the Regional level, with the East Africa Community Boards and/or Councils;
- Locally, with the Nursing Council of Kenyan, the Pharmacy Poisons Board, the Clinical Officers Council, the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologists Board, the Radiation and Protection Board, the Nutrition Council of Kenya and other relevant health regulatory bodies; and.
- With other relevant Professional Associations.
- Conduct preliminary inquiries on professional conduct and medical malpractices;
- Hold and conduct Tribunal meetings; and
- Conduct inquiry into the health and fitness of practitioners.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Set performance targets and sign Performance Contracts with the Minister;
- Prepare and submit annual appraisal reports on the Performance Contracts;
- Present audited accounts to Parliament at the end of each financial year pursuant to the Public Audit Act (No.12 of 2003).